The 2017 Formula Hybrid competition is underway at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Loudon, NH! This year more than ever, “Formula Hybrid is SERIOUS about getting teams through electrical tech inspections,” says Doug Fraser, director of Formula Hybrid and senior research engineer at Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth:
Already, of the 10 teams that showed up on Sunday for the optional preliminary electrical inspection, 4 teams have passed so far:
- Milwaukee School of Engineering
- SRM Engineering College
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- RV College of Engineering
Welcome everyone and good luck!
- 1st: University of Victoria (UVic Hybrid)
- 2nd: Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE Motorsports)
- 3rd: Atilim University (Devrim Hybrid)
- 1st: Binghamton University (Bearcat Motorsports)
- 2nd: University of Vermont (Alternative Energy Racing Organization)
- 3rd: Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT Hot Wheelz)
See summary score sheet.
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Innovation Award: University of Waterloo (Waterloo Hybrid-Electric)
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Industrial Design Award: UVic Hybrid
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Gracious Professionalism Award: RIT Hot Wheelz
- GM Spirit of Formula Hybrid Award: RIT Hot Wheelz
- GM Best Engineered Propulsion System Award: UVic Hybrid
- IEEE Engineering the Future Award: Waterloo Hybrid-Electric
- IEEE Excellence in EV Engineering Award: UVM AERO
- Doug Gore Memorial Chassis Design Award: UVic Hybrid
See award descriptions.
Flickr Photo Album
See more images on Storify.
After facing some unexpected technical difficulties, Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT Hot Wheelz) was able to reach — and exceed — their goal of completing at least one lap around the Endurance Event track. Their “unofficial” exhibition endurance run in fact totaled close to 20 laps. Congrats RIT!
Cloudy, cool, and windy today with just a few rays of sunshine here and there.
University of Victoria (UVic Hybrid) and University of Waterloo (Waterloo Hybrid-Electric) came out on top for the Design Event.
UVic also won both Acceleration (5.857 seconds for unrestricted and 7.3 seconds for electric only) and Autocross.
The winner of both Acceleration (6.207 seconds) and Autocross for the electric car category is Binghamton University (Bearcat Motorsports).
So far UVic, Binghamton, and University of Vermont (Alternative Energy Racing Organization) have made it out onto the Endurance Event course with UVM becoming the first car to complete all 44 laps ever in Formula Hybrid history!
More teams are lined up for inspections today, including Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT Hot Wheelz) which fixed a suspension problem last night and was last seen getting ready for a brake test.